How to Change Address

If you are going to change your address, email or name you must inform DVLA of these changes, and this guide will help you do so. To access information how to be in touch with DVLA immediately visit DVLA online.

Changing your address is one way of updating your records within the entire DVLA system. You can directly call DVLA if you have moved in a new house or you changed your email. DVLA is holding over 44 million driver records and 40 million vehicle records. In order to understand how to change your address, just follow these guidelines carefully.

This guide will lay out what you need to do including: update your driving licence, vehicle log book (V5C), Direct Debit for vehicle tax and other details when you moved to the new address. Even if you are moving for a temporary like going to university you should inform DVLA. Here are the steps you should follow:

Step One: Renewing your driving licence
Step Two: Update your vehicles log book (V5C)
Step Three: Update your direct debit
Step Four: Update your personalized Documents

  1. Step One: Renewing Your Driving Licence

    You must renew your provisional or persistent driving licence if you have a valid UK passport. You have two options for changing the address. Either you can apply online or by post. It doesn’t cost anything to change your address with DVLA. While updating your address you need to have one Government Gateway ID, your Driving Licence. One of the important points you should keep in mind is that you should be a resident of Great Britain. While for the Northern Ireland Driving licence are made of two parts-a plastic photocard and a paper part. All you need is to contact Driver Vehicle Agency if any changes are made.

    If you are having Government Gateway User-Id and Password then you can apply directly.
    DLVA change address
    If you are a new user then you can select the option and continue.
    DVLA new user
    Other documents are needed, such as proof of address for the last three years. If you want to change your photo at the same time then you need to review how to renew your licence after the validation of two years. You can choose to use the same photo or purchase a new passport-style-photo.
    You can change your address by post. The process is different from the online process. It depends on whether you have a photocard or a paper driving licence.

    You can send a letter and photocard driving licence to DVLA to this address.

    SA99 1BN

    You should complete the “changes” section on letter D741 that came with your licence. If you don’t have the D741 form, then you can order a licence application form. The D1 form is for cars and motorcycles while the D2 form is for heavy vehicles like buses and Lorries.

    If you want to change a photo and name at the same time then you will fill out the D1 form. You will need a passport-style-photo for your photo change and a copy of original documents for name change.

    You will get a confirmation email from DVLA after you have applied. Your updated licence should arrive within 1 week if you apply online while it will arrive after 3 weeks if you have applied by post.

    If your licence does not arrive after three weeks call DVLA contact number 0300 790 6801 which is available from 8 am to 7 pm on weekdays, 8 am to 2 pm on Saturday. You can also post your queries to the DVLA head office:

    Drivers Customer Services
    Correspondence Team
    SA6 7JL

  2. Step Two: Update Your Vehicle’s Log Book

    When you change your address it is necessary to make the changes also to your V5C Log Book. No charges are applied to update it. If you don’t update your vehicle log book then your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11) and tax refunds will be sent to wrong address. To record a new address fill out the details in section 6 of V5C log book. Don’t click “new keeper” box. Please note that DVLA does not accept joint names or PO Box addresses.

    If you are changing your name then include a separate note to say that you have changed your name. If you are changing a name and an address then you must include proof that your name has changed. You don’t have to follow this if you are married or divorced. It will take up to six weeks to update your new vehicle log book.

    You can tax your vehicle online before sending logs to DVLA. If you are interested in learning how to SORN a car visit online.


    If your vehicle’s registered keeper is a business then you must include proof of its name change like the certificate of incorporation from Companies House or any other.

    dlva application form

    You can download the application form for log book replacement and send it to DVLA with a cheque of 25 euro.

    Contact DVLA if your Vehicle Log Book doesn’t arrive after six weeks.

  3. Step Three: Update Your Direct Debit

    If you pay by direct debit for vehicle tax, call DVLA to change the billing address of your payment. When you change your account then your direct debit is taken from you. So to solve this either you need to ask your new bank to move direct debit details from your old account or you can change that new account with a new one. Most UK banks move direct debit from your old account to the new one. It’s the highest possibility that your bank might able to move your direct debit from one account to another if both of the accounts are with them. You can keep driving your vehicle until the date till your next Direct debit payment is due.

    Make sure that you tax your vehicle on the first day of the month. Use the 11 digit number from your V5C. You may need to change the vehicle tax class if it was previously used by the disabled person or you are disabled and taxing your car for the first time. It’s illegal to drive a vehicle until you have taxed it.

    DLVA tax your vehicle

    If your Direct Debit Payments failed to use a new payment method, make sure you have enough money in your account.

    DLVA payment fails

    If you direct debit cancels on its own, then make sure you have enough money to set up new direct debit and use new payment method from another account. If you don’t do this expect to pay fines on time so your vehicle is not impounded. It takes six weeks for a vehicle tax refund and four weeks for confirmation of SORN. Wait until the application is processed.

  4. Step Four: Update Your Personalized Documents

    If you have a private registration number and it is not on a vehicle then you must update your V750 and V778 documents. You can buy personalized number plates from DVLA or from a private dealer. If you don’t want to continue your private vehicle number then you can apply to change it. You will get a V778 certificate.

    DLVA form

    Change your address online and use your DVLA personalized registration account. You need to return V750 or V778 letters with your new name and address on it. You can also use proof of your name or address change and send them back to DVLA personalized registrations. For a change of address, you need a household bill of the last three months, council tax bill for an existing year and bank or building society statement of last three months and a medical card.

    To fix mistakes you need to return V750 and V778 with the letter saying what the mistakes were. Use this DVLA office address:

    DVLA Personalized Registrations
    SA99 1DS